David has been practicing class actions for over 20 years. His dedication to his clients leads him to get the best results for his clients in challenging and diverse cases. He understands that each case is different; he takes a creative approach to litigation, always considering how best to move the case to a timely and successful resolution. That strategic thinking and commitment to his clients have made David one of Canada’s leading class action lawyers for plaintiffs.
David’s cases have been at the forefront of the law relating to franchise systems, price-fixing and competition/antitrust matters. David was lead counsel in one of the few class action trials to have been completed in Canada, and was counsel in the first Canadian competition case to be certified as a class action on a contested basis.
In addition to his active practice, David devotes his time to justice issues and the advancement of the legal profession. He is a past President of the Ontario Bar Association – representing approximately 15,000 lawyers, judges and law students in Ontario. He is a regular speaker on civil litigation and class actions. David represents clients in English and French.
In his spare time, David enjoys playing hockey and supporting the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Ranked in Chambers Canada for dispute resolution: class action (plaintiff)
- Listed in Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory for class actions
- Legal Education seminars of the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, The Advocates’ Society and Osgoode Continuing Legal Education.
- Member of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member of the Class Actions and Private Enforcement Sub-committee of CBA Competition Law Section
- Member of Class Actions and Derivatives Suits Committee of the ABA
- Past President of the OBA (2016-2017)
- Past Member of the Toronto Regional Senior Justice Bench and Bar Committee
- Past Member of the Board of Directors of the OBA and CBA